Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Beginner project revealed!

It's a table with a drawer!  I am beyond thrilled that I learned to make a drawer.  



Some details--It still needs several coats of oil, and the top is still not attached.  The front joints are dowel joints, and the back are single dovetails.  I didn't want to put dovetails on the front, in case I cut them terribly, but they ended up being really snug!

The table's top is about two feet square.  It is made of birch, with some drawer components made of poplar.  I carved the dowels from walnut.


I spent at least thirty hours making this table.  That is pretty shameful, because this is the simplest piece of furniture I've ever seen.  But I'm still learning; sharpening my chisels takes forever, and I make lots of bad cuts.  For example,


see that notch in the bottom of the drawer front?  That's where I accidentally made a router cut an inch too low.  Oops.  At least it disappears when the drawer closes.


Good old Shaker style.  Great for beginners, but always classic.

Linked up with Miss Mustard Seed

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...