Saturday, January 14, 2012

Just Put a Slipcover over It



This chair belonged to my uncle, and to my great-grandfather before him.  It was in my house as I was growing up, and now it is mine.

But it didn't always look like that.

Here it is when I took it home: 


You are looking at my mother's slipcovers, circa 1986.  That's when my father sanded and refinished the maple wood frame.  (It's been scratched a bit since then.)


It's time for a new look.  I had yards of white upholstery-weight fabric from curtains I was planning to make.  But I never used the fabric.  So, for now, I'm  just wrapping it around the cushions.   

Underneath my mother's slipcovers, I found some previous slipcovers of "unknown vintage."  Midcentury, maybe?  Check out the mustard color:

 

I left everything in place.  I didn't want to deal with peeling off old fabric.  Maybe someday, I will actually sew some covers.  And so, I continue the cycle of "just putting a slipcover over it."









2 comments:

  1. don't you just love re-purposing old furniture, and finding that it works so well in your own setting? i have recently acquired an end table and a dresser that were my grandparent's from 1960... i haven't had a chance to doctor them up yet, but i'm already so excited. plus, you can't beat the memory that comes with pieces like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I inherited a chair that looked almost identical to yours. I wish I had thought to slipcover it! Instead I sold it in yard sale :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...